Skip to main content

Transition Services

Contact us: 505-872-6800

Make changes to the header and footer on the "Edit Header and Footer" tab on the left.

Calendar of Events
Transition Services logo.

About Our School

Transition Services (ACCESS / BIP / CTAP / Deaf & HH) serves students 18-22 years old who have completed the high school portion of their programs, yet continue to have transition needs in the areas of employment, post secondary education/training, independent living and community connections.

Transition planning is provided to all students in New Mexico starting at 14 years of age or earlier as needed. Once a student has met all of his/her high school graduation requirements, an IEP team will determine if a program of study has been completed. Students who have not completed their program of study will receive a certificate of transition and are eligible to continue receiving special education services until the end of the academic year in which the student becomes twenty-two years of age

Students who have met all high school graduation requirements on a career readiness or ability pathway, but have not completed their program of study, may have a transition IEP. The IEP committee will determine the most appropriate setting to complete a program of study based on each student's unique and varied transition needs.

Community-based learning helps students develop skills that allow them to become as independent as possible. Community-based instruction teaches functional skills in the community where target skills would naturally occur.